Sunday, June 23, 2013

Estimated Arrival: 12 days (but who is counting?)

I should probably stop counting. It is kinda making it worse.
Do you remember when you graduated from high school (maybe you aren't there yet) and they had a count down? Didn't time molasses and everything slid in slow-mo?

For everyone who doesn't knonw about how mission calls work, here is a quick summary:
 You talk to your Bishop (leader of congregation) after oyu have prayed and fasted. He does the same, and if you both receive a witness it is a good thing and you are worthy, then you fill out your papers and talk to the Stake President (Man who is over a few congregations. The LDS Church has a lot of order in it) He double checks to make sure you are good to go, then turns your papers in the Salt Lake. (Where Church Headquarters is) The following Tuesday, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve (i.e. a prophet of God) prays about it, looks through your picture and information, picks a place, and confirms it. Then they work out travel stuff, and send it back out on Thursday. It usually takes a week to arrive at your home.
So, for all you people counting at home, that is approximately two weeks.

For more info about how where missionaries are sent and why:  http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/the-divine-call-of-a-missionary?lang=eng

So, in this letter, you find out you are called to serve, where, what language you will be speaking, and when you depart. It is a very cool letter to receive.

If you have ever been to a mission call opening (whether you are a member of the LDS Church or not) you will find that, sometimes, it is kinda read like this:

"Dearsizzermolen, youareherbai calldoserveasamissforchurchofJesusChristoflatterdasaint. You are assigned to labor in...." and then the name of where they will serve is read and everyone screams and cries and it is a wonderful moment. (and sometimes there are cookies)

And I find there is nothing wrong with this approach.
I used to think so, though.
After watching a bunch of Youtube videos of people opening them about a week ago, I was shocked that the first line was rushed through like a runaway freight train.
But, now that I have been waiting for five days, I have learned humility. It is TOUGH to wait.(hence my Harry Potter picture) And I will probably accidentally (like all those other pre-missionaries) rush the first line when I first read it.

The whole point is, though, to not forget the importance of that line.
I am not going out to serve a mission to go travel. Or to see cultures.Or to even be nice to people. I am going because I will be called of God to 1.Teach people how they can find the happiness I did & 2.Serve them in anyway I can. There is a wonderful quote regarding people who become missionaries, "to give it all you got and serve."
A pretty hefty responsibility.
There is no time I have felt more imperfect and under qualified then when preparing to serve God. I know I am only there to teach lessons (just say words) and have the Holy Ghost (i.e. Spirit spoken of in the Bible and Book of Mormon) testify what I am saying is true to people. Yet I don't even feel qualified enough for that.

Doctrine and Covenants 4:5: http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/4.5?lang=eng

That's what I am trying to work hard toward.
I figure, though, if that paper has that divinely-crafted first line in it ("Dear Sister Molen, you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.") then that means the Lord trusts me enough to serve the best I can.
And that is enough.
And I am so excited for it!


T.V. Update- it does get easier after a couple of days! But Pinterest has kinda taken that spot. I have a feeling I know what is going to go next...
Moral of the story: Quitting doesn't really count if you replace it with something just as  brain numbing. (Brain numbing was tough to type)

No comments:

Post a Comment